Wednesday, November 9, 2016

THE PLAY ABOUT THE BABY by Carol Kaufman Segal
I believe that, even though Edward Albee is considered one of theatre’s most influential playwrights, I have to warn theatergoers that he may not be for everyone.  Though he has won three Pulitzer Prizes for Drama and Two Tony Awards for Best Play, his work can be befuddling to say the least
Although I, obviously, am a devoted theater lover and take pleasure in almost any live production I am able to see, I often find Albee’s plays too troubling for me.  However, when I am made aware of a play that is given exceptional reviews, being extended several times over, playing at one of Los Angeles’s finest theaters, and featuring two of our cities’ best actors, I could not resist going to see The Play About the Baby written by Edward Albee.
The characters in the play are Girl (Allison Blaize), Boy (Philip Orazio), Man (Sam Anderson) and Woman (Taylor Gilbert).  Boy and Girl are a young married couple, madly in love with one another, who have a child who they equally love.
Suddenly their world is turned upside down when they discover an older couple in their home.  They have no idea who these two people are, how they got there, or why they are there in the first place.  
These strangers begin playing mind games with them, freaking them out, and eventually they steal their baby.  It is obvious that The Play About the Baby is a play of the absurd, and in the end, one must decide the crux of what they have seen
I found the play, not only disturbing, but had trouble trying to understand what Albee was attempting to put across to the audience.  Was he saying there was or was not a baby after all?  I presumed that I had to decide for myself.  What makes this production worthy of all of its kudos, for me, is the top-notch acting by its four actors and the grand direction by Andre Barron.  I would not have wanted to miss seeing it as it is, indeed, another adventure in exceptional theater.
Performances of The Play About the Baby are presented Fridays and Saturdays at 8 PM, Sundays at 2 PM, through Dec. 10, at The Road on Magnolia Blvd., in the NoHo Senior Arts Colony, 10747 Magnolia Blvd., North Hollywood.  For tickets , call (818) 761-8838 or visit www.raodtheatre.org.          
Adult content and nudity.

1 comment: