Saturday, December 9, 2017

ANAT COHEN TENTET by Carol Kaufman Segal
            I recently attended a concert at the Valley Performing Arts Center (which by the way is changing its name to Soraya after the Soraya family that contributed 17 million dollars to the theater).  I was not quite certain what kind of concert I was going to see; it was to be Anat Cohn and her Tentet’s West Coast debut and was billed as:
Jazz Sensation Anat Cohen and Her Tentet 
Celebrate the Release of Her Latest Album, 
“Happy Song” at VPAC (The Soraya) 
            Further information piqued my curiosity.  I guess I was expecting an all jazz performance.  As I was a major in music, I love almost any genre, from classical to blues, to jazz, to ballads, you name it.  So this intrigued me, as I discovered it did many patrons.  The theater was very crowded, and I wondered how many people knew what they were going to hear.. 
             With her outstanding performance on the clarinet, Anat Cohen leads her band of fantastic musicians that include James Shipp (vibes/percussion), Rubi Kodheli (cello), Nadie Noordhuis (trumpet/flugelhorn), Nick Finzer (Trombone), Owen Broder (baritone sax/bass clarinet), Victor GonCalves (piano/accordion, Sheryl Bailey (guitar), Tal Mashiach (bass), and Anthony Pinciotti (drums).  Oded Lev-Ari is their Musical Director.
            Anat Cohen was born in Israel and is based in Brooklyn.  She is an exceptionally outstanding clarinetist whose work captures the sound of modern and traditional jazz, swing, lullabies, Brazilian music to African sounds, as well as Israeli Klezmer music. The program featured her along with the band performing a series of styles throughout the evening, while each member is given their own moment to shine.  Their style of music was like none I have ever heard and I was thrilled to have the opportunity of hearing this marvelous ensemble in person,        
            Following the program, I was surprised to hear many people say they were not certain what they were expecting to hear and see, but it was obvious how much they enjoyed Anat Cohen and Her Tentet by their applause that called for an encore and their continued applause when they left the stage for the last time.
            Watch for more exciting entertainment at the Valley Performing Arts Center (Soraya) located at 18111 Nordhoff  St., Northridge (on the campus of California State University Northridge (CSUN). 



            

No comments:

Post a Comment