Tuesday, March 10, 2020


FRANKENSTEIN by Carol Kaufman Segal
           
I never read Mary Shelley’s novel Frankenstein, nor did I ever see any movies about Frankenstein.  All I was ever aware of was that Frankenstein was known as something “spooky”, and as a child, I never wanted to have anything to do with “spooky.”  So when I knew that Frankenstein was being presented by Four Larks at The Wallis Theatre in Beverly Hills, I thought I might like to find out what it was all about.
           
Having seen this world premiere production of Frankenstein, I must be honest and admit that I was completely baffled by the entire creation.  I wish I had read the story printed in the program book I received upon entering the theatre so that, at least, I would have had an inkling of what was really happening throughout the production. 
            
Though I had difficulty discerning the story, I have to say that this was an unusual and very interesting performance by an unbelievably talented cast, including music developed and arranged by Mat Sweeney with his ensemble of musicians (cast members).  Kila Packett, who performs the role of Victor Frankenstein, is the most physically talented person I have ever seen, creating the role while performing unbelievable body movements. Other cast members include Max Baumgarten, Lu Coy, Philip Graulty, Yvette Holzwarth, Joanna Lynn-Jacobs, Kila Packett, Lukas Papenfusscline, Craig Piaget, James Vitz-Wong, Katherine Washington, James Waterman, and Claire Woolner.  The cast performes double roles, some perform the music.  The scenic and properties design by Sebatian Peters-Lazaro was difficult to understand as most of it was just a lot of stuff on the stage that had no use.
            
The play was adapted from Mary Shelley’s novel by Mat Sweeny, Sebastian Peters-Lazaro, and Jesse Rasmussen, choreographed by Sebastian Peters-Lazaro, directed and composed by Mat Diafos Sweeney.  There is a warning in the book that the production utilizes a strobe light effect, flashing lights, theatrical haze and contains partial nudity.  The most difficult for me was the strobe light and some flashing lights.
            
Though I found Frankenstein left me perplexed throughout most of it, I appreciated the performances by the entire company.

No comments:

Post a Comment